Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

How ITIN Loans Support Getting a Mortgage Without a SSN

It might seem that getting a mortgage without a Social Security number (SSN) could be next to impossible. You may be a perfectly legal resident of the United States, but without a Social Security number, many of the most popular loans are unavailable.

However, there are options, including ITIN loans through Fannie Mae. As one of the few organizations that support loans to people without a Social Security number, Fannie Mae can provide access to the funding you need for a top-quality loan on a world-class home.

ITIN Loans: A Useful Option if You Don’t Have a Social Security Number

What are ITIN Loans?

ITIN stands for “Individual Tax Identification Number.” The IRS issues these numbers to people who file taxes in the United States but do not meet the qualifications for a Social Security number. ITINs are also issued to dependents of people who do not qualify for Social Security numbers.

ITINs can be issued to a variety of individuals, including…

  • A non-resident who has a source on income based in the U.S. For example, a citizen of Mexico who owns shares in a U.S. property company would be issued an ITIN so they can pay U.S. taxes.
  • An individual in the U.S. on a temporary visa, as well as their spouse.
  • A U.S. resident who does not qualify for a Social Security number but needs to file taxes information in the United States.

The first two, you may have guessed, do not really apply to this conversation. The third, however, does. (There may be loan options for the first two; talk with a lending agent for more information if you are on a temporary visa or a non-resident with a U.S.-based income.)

Documents and Qualification for ITIN Loans

Getting a loan with an ITIN is fairly simple, but you may need to bring a variety of documents for your application process. On order to ensure qualification, your lending agent will need to acquire certain documents and papers. First of all, the SSA-89 form will be needed. This document is obtained to verify that you do not have a Social Security number. (If a Social Security number exists, you can’t use an ITIN loan and will instead be qualified through your Social Security number.)

ITIN loans can help you purchase a wonderful home in a fantastic neighborhood.

If you have been issued an ITIN, you should have received a confirmation letter from the IRS. The lender will need this document; if you don’t have it you’ll need to contact the IRS to get a replacement.

The lender will also need your tax transcripts. This will verify the ITIN currently being used for your taxes.

To be eligible, you need to be either a U.S. citizen or a lawful resident. You’ll need to provide documentation that you are legally present in the United States. Validation of the ITIN is needed, but it’s not enough to verify your current residency.

Don’t Have an ITIN? Here’s How to Get One

If you do not yet have an ITIN, but need one to purchase a home, the process is fairly simple. ITIN applications must mail passports and other qualifying documents to the IRS; these will be reviewed in order to verity citizenship and immigration status.

The first step is to fill out Form W7, which can be downloaded from the IRS website. This will need to be mailed to the IRS.

With the application, you must include any documents that help identify your current U.S. status. Driver’s license from origin country, identification of nationality, and official birth certificate can all be included.

Next, include your tax returns with the application. For all future tax returns, inputting your ITIN will not be required. (Assuming you are issued one, of course.)

Finally, you will need to submit the W7 form, along with all supporting documents, to the IRS. This can be done either in person or by mail. Contact the IRS to learn where you should send the application.

If you are not a dependent and use a Certified Acceptance Agent (CAA), you can apply for an ITIN and retain your original documents. In other words, if you meet this criteria you don’t have to mail your documents, they are instead verified by the agent.

Using a CAA for your ITIN application is probably a good choice, as they can help complete many of the forms and provide assistance when responding to the IRS. Services can also be provided in the language of your choice, reducing the chances for confusion and delays.

Find a Lender Who Can Service These Loans

To get an ITIN loan, you need to work with the right lender, as not all mortgage professionals have the experience needed or access required for this form of financing. Choose your lender wisely, and make sure they have the capabilities to help with this loan.

Remember that finding a lender who can service the loan is the basic requirement, but it’s not the only thing you should focus on. Make sure they are actually experienced in this form of lending and have the skills to quickly sort through the application process. By working with an experienced lender, you’ll increase your chances of quick mortgage approval.

Of course, all other factors apply. A solid credit score, strong downpayment, and wise budget are all helpful when applying for a loan, so maintain responsible use of credit and you’ll have a better chance at getting the top-quality loan you deserve.

ITIN loans are a useful resource, so if you don’t have a Social Security number but still pay taxes in the U.S., contact a lender to see if they are a viable option for you!

Work with a Lender That Can Service Your ITIN Loan

ITIN loans are supported by Fannie Mae, but you need to work with a lender who has access to this useful type of lending.

Contact our staff today and let us help you find the right loan for your specific needs. From home ITIN loans to financing for your investment property, we are here to help with all of you needs!


Have a Question? Let’s connect!

Every mortgage situation has a solution unique to you. Schedule a quick phone call or zoom. Leave your details and we’ll get back to you ASAP.

Chad Baker, CrossCountry Mortgage   
NMLS# 329451 | CCM NMLS# 3029